I just thought of sharing a technique I have been using lately for collecting knowledge on target industry or a new tool/startup idea
For example, you have been trying to something in online backups (a purely hypothetical example).
First, come up with top 3 relevant keywords that people search for while thinking of online backups. You may use Google insights for search.
Here are the relevant keywords I found: “online backups”, “data backups”, “server backups”
Now here is the juicy part. Go to Twitter search and for each of your keyword, search on following themes:
- What people like: search combination of keyword with words “like”, “love”, “great”, “cool”, “:)”. Example – “online backup” “love”
- What people dislike: search for “hate”, “sucks”, “:(“, “bad”, “worst”
- What people want: search for “want”, “wish”, “if only”, “lacking”
This will give you a pretty good idea of what people like, dislike and want in this particular industry. And if you spot patterns, you could have tremendous insight.
- Expand your set of keywords
- Do the same three sets of searches for competitors/leaders in that industry
- Don’t just limit till Twitter, do Google blog search also
Any more ideas? More terms for searching likes, dislikes and wants? Now if someone could just make an app for simplifying this. Anyone?
Possibly related posts (automagically generated):
- Google Cannot Serve more than 1000 results
- For Startups: How to Find Problems to Solve?
- What Facebook needs? A killer search engine
- Validate your startup idea by asking 3 simple questions
- An Idea: Spam Detection using DNA